23 September 2010

The Bond retrospective - The Top Ten Starts Here

 I have now worked out how many Bond films I consider to be good - ten (pre-Craig) as from here on in I start giving positive reviews, with criticisms, rather than critical reviews with a few decent bits

So anyway, coming in at number ten:

10. Live and Let Die

I don’t know why some people have an issue with the ‘Blaxploitation’ theme of this film, yes it’s slightly cringeworthy but it’s from 1973 and really is not that bad – it’s actually quite a good film. It’s fairly light-hearted, got a fair bit of action, a decent plot and it’s not overly cheesy, as well as having one of the best Bond girls in the form of Solitaire. While it’s certainly not brilliant, Dr Kananga and the voodoo-type Baron Samedi being arguably some of the poorest villains in the series, it is entertaining, which is why it’s a favourite with television networks. Sheriff J ‘Dubya’ Pepper’s first appearance is somewhat of a guilty pleasure (which is more than I can say about his second) and there are a few other memorable scenes that ensure that the first Moore film is at least well-known, even if it’s not all that, and for that it gets a spot firmly in the middle

Pros:
Brilliant song by Paul McCartney and Wings…when covered by Guns and Roses
Solitaire

Cons:
‘Honky’
Baron Samedi…ooh I’m so scared of your weird cracking head

2 comments:

  1. Don't forget the crocodiles!

    When Moore didn't need a walking stick

    ReplyDelete
  2. oo spy who at the top

    I shan't be giving anything away - but obviously it will be top five

    (to be honest I haven't even ordered them myself yet)

    ReplyDelete